What to Know About Auto Insurance in Texas

Driving is a big deal for people. It means independence. It allows people to have broader options in their daily lives. But it also means responsibility, especially if you have the misfortune of getting into an auto accident.

No matter how skilled a driver you are, accidents can happen and lead to serious vehicle damage, injuries and even death. Many people think about how this would affect them, but what’s just as important is how it affects the driver and passengers of the other vehicle. This is why having adequate insurance coverage is so important. 

Do I Have to Have My Vehicle Insured in Texas?

Yes, you need to have auto insurance in Texas. If you’re driving and get into an auto accident, you’re legally required to show proof that you can pay for the damages.

What Kind of Auto Insurance Do I Need?

You need to be able to pay for the other driver’s vehicle damage and their medical bills if you’re the one who caused the accident. This means that, at minimum, you’ll need liability insurance with what’s referred to as 30/60/25 coverage.

This type of coverage means your insurance covers up to $30,000 for each injured person, $60,000 total per accident and $25,000 for property damage per accident.

However, this is only the required minimum, and there are some pretty compelling reasons to get more coverage. If you get into a big accident and the minimum doesn’t cover all the costs, the other driver could sue you for damages.

Other types of insurance options include collision coverage, comprehensive coverage, medical payments coverage and more. If you need to know all of your options, get in touch with an insurance company as soon as possible. This isn’t something you should delay.

Can I Get in Trouble for Not Having Auto Insurance?

Yes, you need to show proof of insurance if you get pulled over in Texas. If you don’t have insurance, the police officer could give you a ticket for as high as $350. If you get pulled over repeatedly, the fines can get even higher (up to $1,000) and your license could get suspended.

What Happens if My Insurance Company Treats Me Unfairly?

Sometimes an insurer denies a claim or refuses to pay it, while other times they fail to defend clients and compensate them according to the policy limits. In circumstances like these, people file what’s called a bad faith claim. If you find yourself in this situation, you’ll want the help of an experienced lawyer.

Need an Attorney for Your Bad Faith Claim? Request a Consultation Now! 

At The Fell Law Firm, our attorneys represent clients with bad faith insurance claims. Whether your insurance company has denied your claim, failed to defend you or refuses to compensate you, we can take action and fight for you. Call 972-450-1418 or send us a message online to schedule your consultation.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *